Annual MSMC Assembly planned for Taos, N.M.
“Pursuing God’s Dreams: How then shall we live?” is the theme set for the annual conference gathering in Taos, New Mexico on August 3-5. We will explore specific ideas about what it really means to pursue God’s dreams—a reference to our MSMC vision statement. Worship themes and other formation activities will help sharpen the conversation.
The gathering location is the Kachina Lodge near central Taos. Some camping options will also be available at the TiLT (Taos Initiative for Life Together) compound about a mile and a half from the assembly venue.
To-date plans include:
- A pre-assembly round-table guided conversation about faith and social action at 3:00 p.m. on Friday.
- Friday evening kick-off concert by “The Second Wind Endeavor,” a local Taos band with several members with ties to Mennonite service and education institutions.
- Delegate session on Saturday morning.
- Worship services on Saturday morning and evening, an optional Sunday morning sunrise service at the Taos Gorge and the final mid-morning worship celebration and communion at the assembly venue. Throughout, we’ll hear stories from people among us who may be getting into trouble for following God’s dreams.
- Saturday afternoon break-out sessions
- Online registration will provide links to housing options at Kachina Lodge and camping options at TiLT.
- Some meals will be catered and others may be purchased at a variety of Taos restaurants.
- “Camp Kachina” (supervised lawn and pool time and activities for children). Also, a possible Saturday Rio Grande rafting trip for middle and high school youth—depending on interest and water levels.
Pre- and post- assembly options include a young adult wilderness outing planned by TiLT, tours of local interest points and a post-assembly family camp on Lama Mountain.
The assembly planning team includes Marc Yoder, Melissa Roth, Todd Wynward, Eric King, Barry Bartel, Cole Chandler, Lily Mast, Jen Dudenhefer and Ken Gingerich. Merv Birky and Charlene Epp are part of the worship planning sub-committee. Email Jen at Administrator@MountainStatesMC.org with any questions.
Watch for a complete description of Annual Assembly events in the June issue of Zing!